How to Get Involved
Do you share our vision for transforming downtown Burlington City into a new hub of activity? Do you have interest or skills in planning events, fundraising, or economic development? Are you curious about what’s happening downtown and want to be a part of the action? Then please consider attending an open meeting or volunteering for a working committee.
“Burlington is a city brimming with potential. Our downtown can become a vibrant hub where community flourishes. But this vision requires more than dreaming – it demands doing. It calls on each of us, from residents to business owners, community groups to government, to roll up our sleeves and take action. Together, we can transform our downtown into the heart of our city. A place alive with culture, commerce, and human connection. The change starts now. Let’s believe in what’s possible and collaborate to make it real. Burlington, the time is right to create the Main Street we know our city deserves.”
-Donnamarie Mazzola President, Main Street Burlington
Come to a monthly board meeting or Contact us if you’re interested in any of these volunteer opportunities:
- The Farmer’s Market needs volunteers to help recruit farmers and vendors, and for assistance with parking, set up, and breakdown when the market is in session.
- The MSB Communications team needs volunteers to help update our business directory listings – adding businesses and taking off businesses that are no longer operating, getting updated photos and media, improving descriptions of their services, etc. Help let local merchants know who MSB is and encourage them to get involved.
- The Events and Promotions Team needs volunteers to help plan and staff events in 2024
The Main Street Model
MSB follows the four-point model that has proven to be successful in other Main Street communities. As our membership grows, we will form or grow our committees around these key initiatives. We welcome people to attend our monthly board meetings and share their interests and ideas, or take the lead as a committee head.
This committee identifies financial tools and incentives to assist local businesses, encourage property development, and create a supportive environment for entrepreneurs to invest in new business development.
Projects may include:
- Building entrepreneurial economies.
- Strengthening business—includes strengthening existing businesses and recruiting new ones.
- Infrastructure reuse—finding new economic uses for traditional Main Street buildings.
- Ascertaining progress—monitoring the economic performance of the district.
Placemaking/Burlington City Garden Club
The Garden Club is the placemaking arm of Main Street Burlington. Its focus is to beautify our city with a focus on enhancing the unique characteristics of our downtown, including planting and maintaining flowers and plantings on High Street and the Promenade. Follow the Garden Club on their Facebook Page.
- Planting and weeding the flower beds
- Watering the flower baskets and planters
Events & Promotion
This committee develops and promotes events that draw people downtown and support local downtown businesses. We’d love for you to join us!
Projects may include:
- Planning events and activities
- Marketing the district’s assets to residents, visitors, investors, and others
- Organizing retail promotions
- Enhancing the perceived value of the district by initiating activities that create opportunities for commerce and community
This committee works to create a strong foundation for a sustainable revitalization effort, by cultivating community partnerships and volunteerism, fundraising, communications, and public relations.
Projects may include:
- Raising money—for projects and administration, from donations, sponsorships, and grants
- Overseeing volunteer activities—by recruiting and supervising people and rewarding good work
- Assisting with creating content for MSB social media and communications
Join us on our journey to revitalize our downtown by volunteering with Main Street Burlington!
Meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of the Month 5:30-7 pm at The Dime, 351 High Street, Burlington, 2nd floor.
Main Street Burlington invites all to attend and get involved. Contact us to learn more.